· Drug addiction
· Poor grades
· Loss of control of your teen
· College failure or ‘the 5-year plan’
· No job/ no career/ no future
The large majority of teenagers will NOT experience the first three – but as you go down the list, the possibilities INCREASE! Like it or not, we are a society IN DENIAL – “no, that will never happen to me – or my teen” – and yet, during a TV interview, I asked the reporter – in his interviewing parents of teenage drug deaths - how many parents EXPECTED their teen to overdose? The answer? NONE! No parent expected it.
My purpose here is not to scare you – but to at least open your eyes to possibilities – and an approach we follow which we believe will DECREASE the PROBABILITY of all these
In our coaching process, we ask our teens to:
1. BRAINSTORM their dreams – the wild and oddest the better [these are NOT goals]
2. Boil them down to 2 or 3 dream GOALS [now, they’re goals!]
3. Develop A PLAN to achieve those dream goals
4. IMPLEMENT that PLAN in small micro-steps WEEKLY and DAILY
We power walk over the old “I’m gonna” approach – because that NEVER works.
5. We encourage, support and re-inspire them along the way [we all lose motivation sometimes – don’t you?]
6. We emphasize small, daily micro-goals, small enough to COMPLETE that day. That daily completion builds momentum, belief – and SELF-BELIEF!!
A couple key/ critical factors:
· By getting them to focus on THEIR OWN dream goals, their self-motivation automatically increases.
· For the same reason, their focus and self-discipline also strengthens.
· AND they almost always become fr more attentive regarding the importance of their school academics – and that emphasis increases also!
And oh, BTW, because they’re moving toward their own goals, each of the fearsome items at the top of this article DECREASES in probability!!!!!!!!!
IF YOU’D LIKE HELP OR INSIGHT INTO HOW TO DO THIS WITH AND FOR YOUR TEENAGER, PLEASE EMAIL US AT CoachSteve@Launch-Your-Life.com